About AIG - Puerto Rico
For more than four decades we have been part of the economic development of Puerto Rico and, above all, of the growth of the local insurance industry. We are very proud to fulfill our mission to offer products that meet the needs of our market, while we strive to continue our path of innovation in presenting solutions for our clients, which have positioned us as market leaders. property, contingency and financial lines insurance.
We have a team of highly trained professionals with great experience and commitment. We serve our clients with care, who have placed their trust and loyalty in us. Therefore, we are constantly looking for new options, to offer you world-class protection.
We appreciate the support of our customers and we reiterate our commitment to continue expanding our products and services, to continue being your best business partner.
A glimpse of our history through the years
- Cornelius Vander Starr was a man ahead of his time, with great entrepreneurial vision and spirit. In 1919 he founded an American insurance agency in Shanghai, China, and this agency was the origin of what we are today, AIG. By 1926 the success in Asia allowed for an office to be opened in the city of New York, which became the head office of our Company until today. The Company grew and developed quickly, expanding its operations in Latin America, and opening a regional office in La Habana, Cuba. In 1938, the Company opened an agency in Puerto Rico.
- In the early 60s, the Latin America regional office was transferred to New York. By 1963 this region was divided into three, being Puerto Rico the main office for operations in the Caribbean. After 25 years of presence in Puerto Rico, AIG establishes as an insurance company, and that is how our story begins. AIICO, currently known as AIG Insurance Company - Puerto Rico, began operations in 1973 with only a dozen employees. Today AIG has more than 100 employees at their offices located in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico.
- In 2009 we celebrated 35 years in Puerto Rico, with a new identity as part of a re-structuring process from our parent company, which gave rise to the name of Chartis. And we continued serving the island with the seriousness and professionalism that has always distinguished us.
- In 2012, we re-branded to the name that is well known for its integrity, versatility, expertise, and financial strength: AIG.
- Our entrepreneurial culture, market knowledge and expertise, enable our clients to receive as added value the experience obtained throughout many years operating in the insurance field in Puerto Rico. Today we have become a far more focused company with a strong core in insurance operations serving millions of customers in more than 100 countries and jurisdictions. Our broad variety of products and services, along with our financial strength are a reflection of a company that has worked hard to deliver capability, flexibility, innovation, good communication, and integrity.
- We, at AIG Insurance Company - Puerto Rico, are greatly pleased to serve Puerto Rico, thus reaffirming the commitment we have undertaken with all our stakeholders including our brokers, clients and employees. Our objective is clear: to make AIG your insurance company.
2014 Corporate Citizenship Report
Making a positive impact in the communities where we live and do business has always been a top priority of AIG. As a responsible corporate citizen, we give back through programs and partnerships that leverage the skills, experience, knowledge, and enthusiasm of our employees and the businesses they represent. We are very proud of the support and relief our contributions and efforts are providing.
Click here to read our Corporate Citizenship Report.